Make your own Blackberry: it’s very easy
In Naja Cochise
Sweet and quick recipes are not only the summer dessert. Homemade blackberries taste good at any time of the year. You can make this fruit juice yourself with just two ingredients. You don’t need more than waiting for ripe fruit and sugar to get sweet pleasure.
Making jam is fun and can contribute a little to its longevity. Between July and October, the fruits of black bushes become large and black. If they bend easily, they are ready to pick.
Whether as a spread for breakfast or as a small gift for your loved ones: homemade jam made from blackberries surprises with its balanced sweetness and the slight acidity of the berries.
Blackberry contains many vitamins and minerals. If you want to keep the fruit all year round, get the jars now.
Our classic recipe shows which ingredients are needed and how easy it is for anyone to become a jam maker.
You can find more recipe ideas for cooking and baking on the recipe topic page.
Blackberry jam: a recipe for people in a hurry
First, the pots and their lids are cleaned in boiling water. Only fresh blackberries with no rotten spots are used to make the jam. In addition to the glasses, you’ll need a clean pot, a tea towel, a funnel, a wooden spoon, and some pretty labels.
Cooking Blackberry Jam | Elements
The ingredients make about six jars of blackberry jam.
- 1 kg of blackberries
- 500 g sugar (2:1)
- According to your taste, juice of half a lemon or 1 packet of vanilla sugar
Cooking Blackberry Jam | preparation
1. Level: Sort blackberries, weigh and wash.
2. Level: Put the fruit with jam sugar in a large pot, mix everything and bring to the heat. Optionally add the juice of half a lemon or a packet of vanilla sugar.
3. Level: Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. As soon as the blackberries have sprouted with the reserved sugar, the cooking time begins for four to five minutes.
4. Level: The gelling test is on: Take a spoonful of blackberry jam and place it on a small plate that has been pre-chilled in the fridge. If the jam is ready, it can be placed in the prepared jars.
5. Level: Place the liquid on clean jars and carefully pour it into the hot pot. If something goes wrong, you can use a clean tea towel to clean it up. Now close the lid tightly and turn the jars upside down, let them cool, stick on the labeled labels and your homemade blackberry jam is ready.
Good to know. If you want to enjoy seedless blackberry jam, pass the jam through a fine mesh sieve before filling.
Blackberry jam: tips and variations
1. Tip: If you want to cook sophisticated blackberry jam, you are welcome to add 200 grams of finely chopped chocolate.
2. Tip: Especially for a good balance of sweetness and acidity, you can add the juice of half a lemon when cooking.
3. Tip: After the jam is cooked, mix it with finely chopped mint leaves.
4. Tip: Blackberries go well with nectarines, apples or oranges. Just give it a try.
TAG24 wishes you good luck and bon appetit!
Cover photo: 123RF/artsvitlyna